Thursday, September 24, 2015

Letters to Tanno

To our 3rd Son, Nathaniel Luke,

You have a charm and a joy that is contagious. Your smile warms a room. It has been spoken over you that there is a Joseph's anointing on your life. I have often wondered if that is what we all see... I have often wondered if that is why, even in the dungeon, Joseph was able to ask the Baker and the Cup Bearer why they were so down. I have wondered if he possessed a similar quality that enabled him to maintain joy through present circumstances.
Another attribute you possess is the love you have for people. You genuinely love. I so love this about you! Your joy is in the love you radiate. 

Another unique attribute about you is in the joy you get from being by our side. You have taught me so much about our Heavenly Father when it comes to the way you delight in being close to us. There are times when you will go off and play but more than your older brothers, you choose us. I am very close to all four of you boys. Not one of our relationships is the same. While I relate to each of you differently, I sometimes keep you close and put more effort to draw in your other brothers so as to not leave them out. I realize all children want and crave their parent's attention, this is not what I am talking about. This isn't a "Look at me, Mommy...look at me." - I know that is coming. I have and will continue to look -even when I just looked 2 seconds ago. What I am talking about is how you choose to be our shadow. You will sit taller when sitting right by your daddy. You are always the first to greet your daddy at the door. When I have been busy and absent from your presence for even a few hours, they others will acknowledge me but you will leave what you are doing to come hug me and smile ---maintaining that smile in faith as you wait for a smile in return.
In this, you have really taught me yet another aspect of God. Often, you seem to be favored but it isn't a preference in sons as much as it is you being there when they aren't. As a result, we think to give to you whatever we have at the moment. I've never really thought of this with God as our Father. However, it is true. There is this bi-product of delighting in and just wanting to be at His feet. That bi-product is being blessed when others aren't. While your brothers assume that age or accomplishment may earn them a "right", often, when I am cleaning up and come across something, I now have to think twice and make a conscience decision when I hand you something. So often, you take off to share your excitement with your brothers and that too makes me wonder. As an oldest, I saw through the eyes of "fair". You have challenged me in this and YOU have helped bring perspective. Our entire family is so much richer because of you.
I love you Son. Thank you for being YOU!
Love,
Mom